|Alternative Name:||A Song to Nature|
|Artist:||Victor David Brenner|
|Listing:||National Register of Historic Places|
|Name:||Schenley Farms Historic District|
|Alternative Name:||Schenley Farms-Oakland Civic District|
This large fountain was placed in Schenley Plaza in 1918 to memorialize its namesake, Mary Schenley, who donated the land for what would become Schenley Plaza, Schenley Park, and the Carnegie Institute.
Pan, the Greek god of shepherds and flocks, mountain wilds, hunting and rustic music, being serenaded by a nymph playing a lyre. The sculpture was widely interpreted to symbolize the taming of nature by man.
The sculptor of the fountain, Victor David Brenner, is widely known as being the designer of the Lincoln cent, more commonly referred to as the penny.