|Subjects:||American Civil War|
|Grand Army of the Republic|
|National Women’s Relief Corps|
|Artist:||Bruce Wilder Saville|
The Peace Statue was commissioned by the National Women’s Relief Corps, an auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic. They are the largest of the Civil War veteran’s organizations. Introduced in 1923, the statue symbolizes the sacrifices of the troops and the women they left behind.