|Campus:||University of Louisville|
|Curator:||University of Louisville|
|Year Completed:||1902 (original)|
One of the most widely known sculptures in the world, this was the first large scale cast of Rodin’s preeminent work. It is sited in front of Grawemeyer Hall on the campus of the University of Louisville.
It was originally owned by the city of Baltimore, but they sold it to Louisville attorney and art collector Arthur Hopkins when they bought another cast it. Hopkins donated it to the city of Louisville who decided to place it on the campus of the University. The original cast of the sculpture is owned by the city of Paris and is located within the Musee Rodin. Because this was the first cast, the sculpture has the distinction of being one of the most original. It was also the only cast using the lost-wax casting method.