|Location:||Downtown Springfield, Ohio|
|Artist:||Arlene B. Nichols Moss (concept)|
|Material:||Algonite Stone (Cast)|
Sited in a newly constructed park, this is the first of twelve monuments spread along the National Old Trails Road from coast to coast. The monument commemorates the efforts of mothers of families who migrated from the east coast into pioneer territory.
Beginning in the early 1900′s, the Daughters of the American Revolution desired to commission a series of monuments to pioneer mothers. At roughly the same time, the National Old Trails Road was established and the potential for a series of monuments along the road was conceived. The monument’s design was originally conceived by Arlene B. Nichols Moss, the chairwoman of the monument’s committee. The concept was provided to sculptor August Leimbach who finalized the design. It is built from a concrete-like cast stone which allows all twelve monuments to be virtually identical. The stone – Algonite – consists of granite aggregate which provides its warm, pinkish color tone.
Springfield’s Madonna was the first to be placed and was dedicated on July 2, 1928. Future President Harry S. Truman was President of the National Old Trails Road Association at the time and traveled to Springfield to preside over the ceremony. The monument was moved several times but was placed in its permanent location, National Road Commons, in 2011.
If You Go:
National Road Commons, the new home of the monument, is a green and fresh new addition to the city. In addition, Downtown Springfield has beautiful architecture as well as several other small parks and memorials.
This work by Matt is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.