|Location:||Queensgate, Cincinnati, Ohio|
|Architect:||Fellheimer & Wagner|
The station was completed in 1933 and provided a significant terminal for the major railroads serving Cincinnati. Located in Queensgate at the edge of Downtown and directly adjacent to Mill Creek, the railway station was sited specifically to accommodate the numerous rail lines that extend northward up the valley and southward across the Ohio River.
The station saw its peak usage during World War II when it served over 34,000 daily passengers as a major transfer point for soldiers. Following the war, passenger rail service declined with the construction of highways and airports, and passenger service to the station ceased in the 1970s. Passenger rail service returned in 1991 when Amtrak began service to Cincinnati on its ‘Cardinal’ route from Washington, D.C. to Chicago.
The City of Cincinnati purchased the building in 1975 and leased the building as a shopping center in the 1980′s. After its failure, the Cincinnati Museum of Natural History and the Cincinnati Historical Society teamed up to open several museums within the wings of the building. This joint venture, the ‘Cincinnati Museum Center’ was reopened in 1990.
The rotunda of the terminal is adorned with significant murals by German artist Winold Riess. The two mosaics are 105′ wide by 20′ tall and depict scenes of American workers and landscapes. In additional to the murals, the rotunda is adorned with bright bands with colorfully accentuate the form of the dome and create a bright and welcoming space.
If You Go:
The rotunda of the building is open to the public during business hours and on weekends. The several museums housed within the terminal has a single or combined admission fee. Check the website for specific hours and admission costs.
This work by Matt is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.