|Location:||Downtown Findlay, Ohio|
|Architect:||Weary & Kramer|
Findlay had several courthouses throughout the nineteenth century including a schoolhouse and a small wood frame structure that still stands today. In the 1880′s, local officials desired to construct a new and permanent courthouse for the growing city and began to raise money for the project. Oil and gas was discovered in the area around the same time, and the design of the building was enhanced in anticipation of the new revenue source.
A 16 foot copper stature of John Hancock, the county’s namesake, stands atop the structure and is 130 above the street elevation. Three feminine copper figures are placed above the main entrance on the Main Street side of the building and represent Law, Justice and Mercy. The courthouse underwent an extensive renovation in the 1990′s in order to restore much of the internal woodwork and other fittings that were original to the building.
If You Go:
Downtown Findlay is a treat for urban enthusiasts who enjoy historic and traditional Main Streets. Several restaurants, shops and other small businesses line the corridor as well as some more significant corporate and government buildings.
This work by Matt is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.