|Location:||Lawrence County, Pennsylvania|
|Year Built:||Mill-1852 (rebuilt in 1868)|
|Register No.||80003544 (Bridge)|
McConnell’s Mill is a well preserved 19th century remnant of Western Pennsylvania’s industrial history. The mill sits in a wooded valley alongside Slippery Rock Creek and is adjacent to a historic covered bridge.
The original mill was built in 1852 and served as a gristmill to process grains. A fire destroyed the original structure and was rebuilt in 1868. Thomas McConnell purchased the mill in 1875 and replaced the original fittings to convert it into a rolling meal. It processed corn, oats, wheat and buckwheat.
The nearby bridge is a Howe Truss design and was originally built in 1874 to provide passage across Slippery Rock Creek. The exterior is painted bright red and contrasts against the dark green foliage of the surrounding trees.
If You Go:
The mill and bridge are located within McConnell’s Mill State Park, a 2,546-acre preserve along the Slippery Rock Creek gorge. The mill and bridge are a relatively quick visit, but the trails and remainder of the park are worth exploring as well.
This work by Matt is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.